Buckwheat is good for your dog.
5 Benefits of Buckwheat for Dogs
1. Buckwheat is a fiber powerhouse.
The significant amount of soluble fiber in buckwheat helps normalize the digestive tract. Fiber also protects the stomach from oxidative damage caused by free radicals, thereby preventing infections and cancer.
2. Buckwheat seeds promote colon health.
Buckwheat is a source of resistant starch which escapes digestion in the small intestine. This type of starch possesses both soluble and insoluble fibers. The majority of buckwheat is highly digestible, but its small amount of resistant starch can encourage colon health.
3. The high protein levels in buckwheat improve dog’s overall health.
Buckwheat contains more protein than traditional grains like rice, corn, or wheat. Proteins are essential for canine health as it impacts organ function, substance synthesis, digestive processes, and the breakdown of waste products.
4. Buckwheat is full of critical minerals and vitamins.
This seed boasts an impressive amount of minerals and vitamins necessary for healthy body functions, including:
- Manganese for protein, carbohydrate, and enzyme use
- Magnesium for bone and teeth structure, enzyme function, and muscle stability
- Potassium for nerve-impulse transmission and transport functions
- Vitamin B-complex for energy and metabolism, glucose generation, red blood cell function, hormone regulation, and nervous system function
- Polyphenol compounds (plant-based antioxidants) for stopping cellular damage caused by free radicals
- Rutin, a bioflavonoid that is anti-inflammatory and may fight cancer
- Zinc for skin function, wound healing, cell replication, and protein and carbohydrate metabolism
5. Buckwheat is naturally gluten-free and perfect for grain-sensitive canines.
If your dog suffers from food allergies or needs to avoid gluten in his food, then buckwheat might be what you’re looking for. These seeds are naturally gluten-free making it easier to digest for dogs who are gluten and allergen-sensitive.